Order of service for Christmas Masses

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

WE have three Masses at Christmas. 7pm Christmas Eve is specifically geared towards children. Because of the numbers arriving (by the time Mass starts they'll be standing outside the church) we have introduced 30mins of Carols/Hymns and readings (Annunciation and Visitation). Music for Mass is as follows:
O come all ye faithful
Light the Candle (Christmas verse to light remaining candle on Advent Wreath)
"Clap" Gloria (for now anyway)
Christmas Psalm (Farrell)
Christmas Gospel Acclamation (Farrell)
During the Gospel Tableau (v1 of O Little Town, Away in a Manger, Glory, glory to God (Walker), Silent Night)
Come to the Manger
Farrell Acclamations
Communion Song III (Inwood)
Bread of Life (Farrell)
Infant Holy
Little Jesus sweetly sleep
The Virgin Mary had a baby boy.

Home for a short break and then back for 11pm "Midnight" Mass which is traditionally preceded by 30mins of Advent readings and Carols/Hymns. Then into Mass:
O Come all ye faithful
Christ the King Gloria (written for our Parish)
Christmas Psalm (Farrell)
Christmas Gospel Acclamation (Farrell)
In the bleak midwinter
Christ the King Acclamations (as above)
Communion Song III
Away in a manger
Child of mercy
Silent Night
Hark the herald angels sing

The following morning we have Mass at 10am which will include a selection of carols from the above and sung acclamations, psalm Gloria etc. Unfortunately our PP is refusing to say the Mass during the Day too so we have the Dawn Mass. As we use adapted Midnight Mass readings for the 7pm Mass this means that I get Luke 3 times (the Gospel at 7pm is Midnight and Dawn combined).
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Ros Wood wrote:During the Gospel Tableau (v1 of O Little Town, Away in a Manger, Glory, glory to God (Walker), Silent Night)

now there's an enigmatic statement ...... what's a Gospel Tableau?
johnmac
Parish / Diocese: WESTMINSTER

Post by johnmac »

Not sure if this helps or not: we have six masses for Christmas - 3 on christmas eve and 3 on christmas day. All six cater for six very different age groups, so our music list might help:

5 p.m. First Mass of Christmas (families with babies, toddlers, children up to 6 years old ish)
Gat: Little donkey
Gloria: Clap hands
Alleluia: Halle, halle, halle
Offertory: Selection from the school nativity plays!
E. Acclamations: Glastonbury (Walker)
Our Father: Echo
Communion: Away in a manger
Recessional/Exit: secular selection!

7 p.m. Family Mass (families with children 7 years old +)
Gat: O little town of Bethlehem
Adv candle: Bell - Christmas is coming
Gloria: Mass of New Wine (Ogden)
Psalm: Inwood - Today is born our saviour
Acc: St. Patricks Alleluia (Ogden)
Prep of Gifts: Various from school nativity plays
E. Acclamations: E Prayer for children II (Walker - Calling the children collection)
LOG: Holy Name Communion Song (Sands)
Communion: Bread for the world broken (Walker)
Final: O come all ye faithful

9.30 p.m. Carols by Candlelight
Hark the herald angels sing
Hodie Christus Natus Est
Still, still, still
Of the Father's love begotten
Ding, dong merrily
Sussex Carol
God rest ye merry gentlemen
Christmas Lullaby (Rutter)
Shepherds Pipe (Rutter)
Silent Night

10.00 p.m. Solemn Mass
G: Once in Royal David's City
Glor: Celtic Mass (Walker) - Festival setting
Psalm: Christmas Psalm - Farrell
G. Acc: Variation from Gospel Acc Farrell an 7 joys of Mary
Inter: O come to us abide with us (VE)
Prep of gifts: O little town
E. Acclamation: Gathering / Coventry (still trying to decide!)
LOG: Farrell Jesus LOG
Comm: Bread for the world (Walker),
Post-comm: Away in a manger
Recess: O come all ye
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

It does help johnmac, what others are doing is useful, it stops me getting stuck in a rut. Or feeling desperately guilty for trying something "new".
Nothing is hanging together right here but we will just have to get on with what we have got. Thanks for all the examples I found them all very helpful. We will try reading this year..... everyone can read, some of us without even practicing, so that should maybe help fill the pre mass spot without everyone being upset, and the trad carols go into the Mass to cater for those who could not have a good Christmas without them.

Thank you
uh oh!
JW

Post by JW »

This will contribute to the database for anyone reading this thread next year. I got our list at our rehearsal this morning - church was freezing cold and the organ was supposed to have been tuned in December but wasn't - I'll have to get on to the Tuner after the holidays. The reeds are unusable. The good news is that we have dropped the Gloria to the tune of 'Walking in the Air' and the Sanctus to the tune of 'Scarborough Fair' this year.

11.30. Carols & readings
Carol: Once in Royal
Reading: Luke 2, 2-7
Carol: Come to the Manger
Reading: The Friendly Beasts
Carol: What Child is This?
Reading: The Oxen
Carol: While Shepherds Watched
Poem: Little Donkey
Carol: Little Donkey
Carol: Away in a Manger

Midnight Mass.
Procession to Crib: Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
Procession to Altar & Incensing: O Come All Ye Faithful, verse 1 in Latin, final verse "Yea, Lord, We Greet Thee"
Gloria: Salazar arr. Inwood (but actually I use an improvised accompaniment to this).
Psalm & Gospel Acclamation: Eugene Monaghan's Year B setting
Collection: Coventry Carol (1 verse & refrain)
Offertory: Infant Holy, Infant Lowly
Holy, Holy, 'Bread of Life' Mass, Margaret Rizza
Acclamation: 'O Come Let Us Adore Him'
Doxology & Amen, Lécot
Lamb of God: 'Bread of Life' Mass, Margaret Rizza
Communion: (1) O Holy Night (Solo) (2) Silent Night
Recessional: Joy to the World
JW
gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by gwyn »

JW said

Everybody down! Here we go.

Nadolig Llawen.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Gwyn wrote:JW said

Everybody down! Here we go.

Would it be better if they sung it in Latin? :twisted:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by gwyn »

M. asked
Would it be better if they sung it in Latin?

Hee hee.

Hope all went well with your Liturgies over the Nativity Fest.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

After our PP going AWOL during the introductory rite - procession in with bambino at end of carol vigil, blessing of crib, incensing of altar then straight to Opening Prayer (missing out Penitential Rite and Gloria which we were all set to sing), how is this 'join' between Carols and Mass handled in other parishes?

We had planned that the deacon would preside at the carols, with an Opening Prayer (not of the Mass) before carol/reading/carol etc; then after the last carol I had found a prayer/greeting/acclamation to the Christ Child in a Christian Aid resource for which everyone whould stand, then the sacristy doors open, the procession with the Child sail through the church to the first three verses of 'O come all ye faithful'. Then blessing of crib, then verse 4 as incensing completed and priest and deacon to chair. Then, liturgy as usual. However we jumped the rails slightly as above. Not a massive glitch; and he guided us through by inviting all to sit for the reading, so we all knew where we were.

In my last parish, thought, there was an extraordinary blessing-of-crib-during-Gospel and we were instructed to sing the Gloria as the priest and servers processed back. I could never bring myself to do a full-scale Coventry Gloria in the middle of a reading, and used to put in the Taizé 'Gloria in excelsis' canon as they made their way back - more in keeping with the angels' song, I used to think. But it did mean we didn't sing the Gloria text until the morning. Very odd.

What do other people do?
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

That was complicated pirate.

We didn't get to sing the Gloria as Father launched away before I could start it off.

We sang Come come come to the Manger for Prep /Offertory with children processing with the collection carrying the crib Jesus, and having a little fist fight as well...... I didn't see any of this and it seemed to be a last minute idea.... we have two cribs but only one Jesus and neither of them got blessed. Longish sermon but we galloped through Mass and all finished in 3/4 of an hour. A lot of confusion because that Christmas Mass sheet is very complicated. Not enough hymn books again. A slow paced Away in a Manger during Communion was wrecked by the old guard who tried to sing it twice as fast as I was playing it. Ho hum.

However, and to my great delight, we started with contemporary readings and carols in harmony from miscellaneous teenagers, not all Catholic, not all believers, and most with very bad colds. Singing went quite badly as we had not time to practice and we could not sus the lighting to turn it down to make it less scary for them. We terrified a young new keyboard player. But very nice and rather challenging readings and so good to have our younger parishioners leading for once. I am glad we did not fill the void with endless Once in Royal David's City sung feebly. They chose to sing Christmas Lullaby, Peace Child and the one above earlier mentioned. And a Psalm "As a child rests in his mother's arms" by Walker which we did not have time for.

No one complained. Yet.

Merry Christmas all.
uh oh!
lesley wright

Re: thread

Post by lesley wright »

So oopsorganist's parish has two cribs but only one Jesus - how does that work? Does one crib remain vacant?
As we enjoyed the third carol of our pre-night mass carol service the co-ordinator of readers snuck up behind me and said " you might have to stick an extra carol in, we've lost the baby!" Fortunately it turned up at the back of the cupboard where the spare albs are stored - no one knows how it got there.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: thread

Post by nazard »

oopsorganist wrote:... A slow paced Away in a Manger during Communion was wrecked by the old guard who tried to sing it twice as fast as I was playing it...

That is what mixtures, mutations and reeds are for. Make such a hideous din no one can sing at a different speed. It eventually cured our old pp, and then I could go back to a couple of flutes.

Merry rest of Christmas everybody!