Preparing for Lent and Easter 2012

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: Preparing for Lent and Easter 2012

Post by Southern Comfort »

Possibly not, given that Christ is risen? The symbolism of the Cross, the empty Cross, is peculiarly powerful. I think I said in another thread that Good Friday is not a Requiem Mass for Jesus, but a liturgy in which we move from a meditation on the Passion towards a celebration of Christ's victory over death.

But I am sure that there is room for a wide variety of tastes and opinions here.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Southern Comfort wrote:Possibly not, given that Christ is risen? The symbolism of the Cross, the empty Cross, is peculiarly powerful. I think I said in another thread that Good Friday is not a Requiem Mass for Jesus, but a liturgy in which we move from a meditation on the Passion towards a celebration of Christ's victory over death.

But I am sure that there is room for a wide variety of tastes and opinions here.

Tell that to my PP who played a CD of the Pie Jesu from Andrew Lloyd Webbers Requiem during the veneration. :roll:
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

I don't think there's anything hard & fast about this. My own approach is that the liturgy of Holy Week and Easter Sunday is grounded in the events of the Passion. Our Lord was nailed to the cross on Good Friday; the veneration of a cross with the figure of Christ on it represents this to us, in the same way that an empty cross in procession on Easter Sunday (and other Sundays) proclaims the Risen Lord.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

Well; that was a conversation-killer.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

NorthernTenor wrote:...in the same way that an empty cross in procession on Easter Sunday (and other Sundays) proclaims the Risen Lord.

'Empty cross in procession'? Tell us more, NT. I like the idea, but I've never come across a processional cross in liturgical usage without a figure...
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

John Ainslie wrote:
NorthernTenor wrote:...in the same way that an empty cross in procession on Easter Sunday (and other Sundays) proclaims the Risen Lord.

'Empty cross in procession'? Tell us more, NT. I like the idea, but I've never come across a processional cross in liturgical usage without a figure...

Yes, you have. Think of Clifton Cathedral.... 8)
festivaltrumpet

Post by festivaltrumpet »

One must presume that Northern Tenor is referring to a para-liturgical celebration taking place on Easter Sunday. Both the Institutio Generalis and the Cæremoniale Episcoporum presume that the liturgical processional cross is one upon which there is a corpus.
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

Whoops - I was thinking patrimony again! Comes of still singing Anglican, I guess (perhaps that would come under FT's "para-liturgical celebration" :) ). It seems a very natural idea to me. On Sundays we celebrate the Risen Lord - tho' that's not to suggest their should be no representation of Christ on the Cross, too, as we are also in the presence of the great sacrifice.
Ian Williams
Alium Music